File Income Tax Extension Online
If you need additional time to file your tax return, you can file income tax extension Form 7004 Business or Form 4868 Personal, Applications for Automatic Extension of Time to File U.S. Income Tax Returns.
The IRS allows you to file an income tax extension for up to a 6 month extended time allowance (until Oct. 15) to file your income tax return. You must file for your extension on or before the regular April 15th tax filing deadline to be accepted by the IRS.
While filing a tax extension gives you extra time to file your return, it does NOT give you extra time to pay any taxes you owe. You should estimate how much you owe, then pay that amount due when you file for your income tax extension to avoid being charged late fees of interest and penalties.
You may not be eligible to use the standard extension forms above if any of the following circumstances apply:
- If you are not living in the United States, you should use Form 2350
- If you are currently serving in a combat zone
- If you will not be in the United States when your extension expires
Income Tax Extension Statistics
- Extensions can be filed online in minutes – no reason needed by the IRS
- Almost all extensions filed annually get IRS Approved!
- Extensions are filed online electronically on a secure network.
- The IRS will send an email confirmation when your extension is approved.
If you can't pay the full
amount you owe with your income tax extension, the IRS will charge you interest on the unpaid
balance until you are fully paid.
If you pay less than 90% of the amount you owe, you may also be subject to late payment penalties, usually half of 1% of the amount owed for each month the balance is unpaid, or up to a maximum of 25%.
IRS Federal Income Tax Extension Filing Restrictions
Be sure you file your extension before the tax return due date. Extensions will not be offered after that date, traditionally the 15th of April.
If you have not filed for your extension by then, you will then need to file a late return and be subjected to possible penalties and interest on and amount of taxes that are owed.
You may also calculate income taxes owed and file your tax return online, then apply for a payment plan or, use other forms available if you need more time than six months. Both of these options will have fees associated with them but will most likely be substantially less than the price of not filing at all and being subjected to late filing penalty charges and interest.
- you served in support of Operation Iraqi Freedom or in an operation that is a successor to Operation Iraqi Freedom.
- you qualify for a federal tax extension because of service you performed in a United States official combat zone.
- you qualify for a federal extension due to a federally-declared natural disaster in which extra time to file was granted.
Click here for the full procedure on how to file an income tax extension, and extend to a October 15th tax filing deadline now!
File Now! with TurboTax or H&R Block quality online tax filing software
Average tax returns take just 30 minutes.